[WikiEN-l] Re: login to edit?

Dan Miller meelar2 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 16 04:58:40 UTC 2004

>This would deter more casual vandalism than any
>suggestion I have
>seen and be of trivial consequence for genuine
>users.  Is there really
>a good reason we don't do this?

>Zero.

I think the problem with this is that there are too
many false negatives and false positives--too many
anon edits which are solid contributions, and too many
logged-in users who use their accounts for vandalism.
I think there's only one reason that there are so many
calls for this: most of us never actually see
Wikipedia as it was meant to be seen.  Out of 200,000
articles, most of them are pretty good--it constantly
amazes me the sheer mass of information.  The problem
is that most of the things on Cleanup, VfD, and Recent
Changes are the things that need work.  Thus, regular
users get very biased views of Wikipedia, since they
only see the very worst of it.  As a resource as a
whole, the problems are not very severe.  Just my two
cents, anyway.

Meelar

=====
Kiss Me I'm Irish!