[WikiEN-l] Anonymous proxies (was Re: Desysop Morwen)

Charles Podles charlespodles at sympatico.ca
Sun Feb 15 02:07:44 UTC 2004

Tim Starling wrote:

> 207.44.154.35 is the popular anonymous proxy http://www.anonymization.net,
>
>and as such is used by lots of different vandals. Anonymous proxies are
>regularly used for vandalism, and once we block one, the vandal just moves
>to another one. On meta recently we've had a bot operating to vandalise tens
>of articles, via an anonymous proxy.
>
>Would there be any objections to systematically blocking all anonymous
>proxies on a site-wide basis?
>
>-- Tim Starling

Are there any *valid* uses for anonymizing proxies, or are they used
only to vandalize,
troll, and dodge hard bans? Can anyone think of a situation in which
someone might have
a legitimate purpose for such a tool? Since I can't, I wouldn't object
to a permanent block
of any and all anonymous proxy services.

--Charles Podles (en:User:Mirv)