[WikiEN-l] Anonymous proxies (was Re: Desysop Morwen)

Tim Starling ts4294967296 at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 15 01:49:52 UTC 2004

Arwel Parry wrote
> 207.44.154.35? Hell, I blocked him on the Welsh Wikipedia last Wednesday
> for vandalising [[cy:Hafan]], the Main Page to promote some "NESARA"
> rubbish (it wasn't even in Welsh, which might be a little more
> forgivable!). He was back today doing a minor bit of vandalism to one of
> the date entries, and got blocked again. Is there any way to permanently
> block an IP address?

207.44.154.35 is the popular anonymous proxy http://www.anonymization.net,
and as such is used by lots of different vandals. Anonymous proxies are
regularly used for vandalism, and once we block one, the vandal just moves
to another one. On meta recently we've had a bot operating to vandalise tens
of articles, via an anonymous proxy.

Would there be any objections to systematically blocking all anonymous
proxies on a site-wide basis?

-- Tim Starling