[WikiEN-l] Re: terrorism

Sheldon Rampton sheldon.rampton at verizon.net
Sat Feb 14 17:55:17 UTC 2004

Zero wrote:

>Another problem with the word "terrorism" is that the number
>of cases that are really clear-cut and unarguable is not so
>great. The extreme cases that most people here are giving as
>examples are not really representative.

This is also true, though, regarding many useful and important words
-- in fact, most words. Language is a very complex and subtle thing.
Take for example the word "democracy." There is a simple definition
for it: a system of government in which the people rule (as opposed
to dictatorship, monarchy or anarchism, which is a social system
marked by the absence of government). In practice, though, there have
been endless debates over whether a given society is truly a
democracy. In all existing democracies, some people have more
influence than others. Does this mean that "the people" aren't really
ruling? How oligarchic does a country have to get before it no longer
qualifies to be a democracy? No one can answer that question to
everyone else's satisfaction. But does this mean that term democracy
has no meaning or value? I think it has a great deal of meaning and
value, notwithstanding the impossibility of finding examples of its
perfect implementation.

The same thing can be said even about very precisely defined
mathematical terms, such as "zero," "infinity," or "line," none of
which can be found in nature but are nevertheless indispensable.
There are no perfectly straight lines in nature, but the CONCEPT of a
straight line enables people to achieve some very close
approximations which are very useful to architects and engineers.

Getting back to the word "terrorism," personally I favor a fairly
strict definition of the term. All acts of war and violence instill
fear, but I think terrorism should be defined to mean specifically
that ASPECT of warfare in which instilling fear is the primary goal
of the warrior. This is how most military strategists use the term.
The anthrax mailings in the United States, for example, only killed a
few people, but they did billions of dollars worth of economic damage
by spreading fear and compelling the U.S. to devote extensive
resources to protecting against similar attacks in the future.

Following this definition, the 9/11 attacks would be classified as an
act of terrorism, but the bombing of Hiroshima or the firebombing of
Dresden or the U.S. invasion of Iraq would not, nor would the Nazi
holocaust against the Jews. All of those actions were considerably
more lethal than any terrorist act to date, but instilling fear was
not their PRIMARY purpose.

Of course, some people here are bound to disagree. Suit yourselves.
--