[WikiEN-l] Arutz Sheva, OneVoice

zero 0000 nought_0000 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 14 03:19:09 UTC 2004

I can't find the message, but someone stated here that Arutz
Sheva is not illegal any more.  This needs clarification.

Arutz Sheva is not a legally registered radio station in Israel,
but it is legal for it to broadcast from international waters
into Israel.  That's the sense in which it is legal.  One of
the things that 4 former managers were sentenced to jail terms
for was for broadcasting from land then falsely testifying in court
that they were broadcasting from off the coast.  Currently the
prosecution is appealing the sentences (3-6 months) as too lenient,
so you can see just how happy the authorities are about this bunch.
See http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/spages/392420.html .

There is also a move afoot in the Knesset to make Arutz Sheva legal.
A bill has been introduced to that effect.  I don't know what the
chances of it passing are.

OneVoice has a history of posting doubtful stories from Arutz Sheva.
At [[Refusal to serve in the Israeli military]] he posted a claim that
some general had said that refusal to serve had dropped by 80%.  What
the general had really said was that *convictions* for refusing to
serve had dropped by 80%.  I replaced the false claim by the correct
story together with all the details (actual numbers of convictions
from the general's testimony) and citation of my sources, but OneVoice
just went into his usual obsessive reversion loop regardless.  I don't
accept the good faith assumption, this has happened too many times.  He
is here with a mission and that mission has nothing to do with writing
a good encyclopedia.

Zero.