[WikiEN-l] Diverted funding (was:OneVoice)

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Fri Feb 13 15:57:19 UTC 2004

On second thought, it looks like the source is IsraelNN.

The IsraelNN website /claims that/ Die Welt "reported that OLAF
had finally confirmed Israeli allegations that Yasser Arafat had
diverted millions of dollars in EU funding to the Fatah Tanzim
and Hamas terrorist organizations."

I forget how we deal with this sort of thing. I wish Mav was here...

Does anyone think there's at least a 50-50 chance that OLAF
really issued a statement "confirming the allegations"? If so,
then this is probably news and should go in [[Current events]].
If not we'd better state that IsraelNN made the allegations and
just put it in one of the articles about violence in the Middle
East.

This is what mathematicians and computer scientists call "nesting". The
accusation is buried is layers of attribution.

Level 0 -- the allegation of diverted funds
Level 1 -- OLAF confirms the allegation
Level 2 -- Die Welt reports the OLAF confirmation
Level 3 -- IsraelNN cites the Die Welt report

At some point in this "nesting", the information becomes hearsay or
rumor or something like that, right?

Ed Poor, aka Uncle Ed