[WikiEN-l] Wik and Anthony DiPierro temporarily blocked

Tim Starling ts4294967296 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 13 02:54:32 UTC 2004

Andrew Smith wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I would like to request the temporary banning of both Wik and Anthony
> DiPierro. They have spent the last half an hour reverting the Votes for
> Deletion page, a page which should not be protected dur to its high use.
> They have filled the edit histories of many pages with their junk today
> and have done so on many previous days. Sometimes one is in the right,
> sometimes the other, but they are both acting in a totally unacceptable
> way. I believe banning them both for a period of 24-48 hours would
> reinforce to them the fact that they can't just log on to Wikipedia and
> do whatever the hell they like (which is what they currently seem to
> favour) and would give everyon a break from their incessant niggling. In
> my opinion the Wikipedia would be a better, calmer place without them.
>
> Please consider making a community-backed concensus on this as they are
> getting beyond tolerable.
>
> Andrew (Ams80)

It seems we both came to the same conclusion at the same time. I blocked
Anthony and Wik, and saw this post some time later. Here is my
rationale, copied from the village pump:

After an edit war between Anthony DiPierro and Wik over VfD, that page
was protected. Apparently recognising the inconvenience of an edit war
on VfD, or the protection of this extremely heavily edited page, they
both made comments suggesting the acceptability of a temporary mutual
ban. Wik said in an edit summary:

    "ban Anthony, or, if you can't tell a serious contributor from a
troll, ban both of us, but this can't continue"

And Anthony said on IRC:

    <anthony> as long as he gets banned as long as i do i'm fine with it
    <anthony> i didn't volunteer to be banned
    <AdamBishop> but you said you'd be happy as long as Wik was banned
with you, and Wik asked to be banned
    <anthony> wik asked to be banned?
    <anthony> well, if that's true, let's do it

So I did it, and unprotected VfD.

-- Tim Starling