[WikiEN-l] Re: Banning for bad edits

Dan Drake dd at dandrake.com
Mon Feb 9 21:11:36 UTC 2004

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 20:01:49 UTC, Sascha Noyes
<sascha at pantropy.net> wrote:

> On Sunday 08 February 2004 02:09 pm, Sunir Shah wrote:
> >
> > One might also first ask why a person feels compelled to
> > babysit their own text on a collaborative work.
>
> Lots of vandalism and copyright violations sneak past the RecentChanges
> patrol.
>
> Characters whose single goal it is to insert their bias roam Wikipedia.
>
> New additions of content are often accompanied by significant spelling or
> grammar mistakes.

Quite true -- but in addition, how about good reasons that involve no
actual wrong-doing on anyone's part? People do sometimes insert stuff that
one doesn't consider up to par sometimes with the best of intentions. If
other people never created sub-standard stuff, why would you ever make
revisions on an existing piece? (Stubs and your own creations would be the
only things you'd work on.) When I've put effort into a piece, I know more
about it than I do about a Random Article, and probably more than does a
random WIkipedia editor; and it's not _just_ ego that inspires me to keep
track of whether improvements to it are actually improvements.