[WikiEN-l] I propose a formula based on reverts

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Tue Feb 3 14:18:08 UTC 2004

How about a simple formula, based on what percentage of a user's edits
are reverted by other users? (We might tweak this by discounting reverts
from a certain class of user.)

For example, if new user Blatheration is reverted 30% of the time, he
keeps newbie status. But if new user Jim Dandy has no reverts (except
from newbies), promote him to preferred status.

My only worry is that some highly motivated user will figure out a way
to hack this system, in order to subvert or destroy it. So at first
anyway we should not make it automatic but we could use the statistics
when considering the granting of sysop rights.

But the good thing is that tracking each user's "revert count" would
enable us to identify edit wars in progress or to identify Edit
Warriors. (Yes, of course we'd have to find a way to account for
reversions of 'simple vandalism' so this wouldn't "count against"
someone.)

Uncle Ed