[WikiEN-l] I am not a troll

Ira Stoll irastoll at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 3 02:15:30 UTC 2004

To be honest I only have a fleeting idea of what a troll is. It does have a
number of definitions, even the very loose "he who is surrounded by
conflict" which apparently I fit. However, the strict definition (as I see
it) of someone who makes trouble for troubles sake, and is inclined to
subversion and chaos, fails to fit me at all. Some seem to think I am a
test, or that I am testing you. This is not entirely far from the truth. I
am currently trying to find out if this is a place worth being. So far there
is not a consensus on this subject. It still appears to be a matter of
debate. However, with admins like those who seek my removal, I think there
is a great deal of cause for concern about the future of the wikipedia. I
agree with the spirit of the following:

>Just out of curiosity, is there some reason why the entry bar for Wikipedia
>contributors is so low? Right now the system lets anyone post unless
>someone blocks their IP number or user name. While this has certain virtues
>in terms of inclusiveness, it also makes vandalism more likely. Moreover,
>blocking an IP numbers has the effect of blocking an entire class of people
>for the infractions of a single individual, and it isn't even effective at
>blocking people who use an anonymizer to continually change their IP
>number.

>It seems to me that it would better to require people to register before
>they can contribute. That's a fairly minor requirement, but it would
>probably be enough even without a verification system to deter some of the
>casual vandals and trolls, and it would also ensure that bans only affect
>people who have actually done something wrong to merit the ban.

>I imagine this discussion has already happened before, but I haven't seen
>it, and I'd be curious to know what the reasoning is behind the current
>system.

There is a sad cultural phenomena here not entirely removed from the days of
the salem witch hunts. If one is accused of "trolling" they are guilty until
proven innocent. And yet there is no current way to be proven innocent (I
have looked into it).  I wish we could all be real editors, and focus on the
task of making a quality encyclopedia, rather than a mob of ghosts gossiping
around the water cooler. :(
Jack Lynch