[WikiEN-l] Questions about recusal

user_Jamesday user_Jamesday at myrealbox.com
Wed Dec 22 21:37:24 UTC 2004

Given the conduct of at least one arbitrator, my own view is that anyone should be able to unconditionally challenge and reject at least two arbitrators, without cause, much as jury challenges work.

I'm thinking, for example, of an arbitrator who appeared happy that an arbcom interim action would prevent someone from standing in the arbcom elections, because they were (at least in the view of that arbitrator) prohibited from editing the page to indicate their candidacy.

Given that, it seems wise to provide an easy way to eliminate those who do not do the right thing and recuse themselves when appropriate.

I wonder... has James F actually used his admin capabilities recently? Wondering if it might be an idea to keep arbitrators at arms length from all but essential enforcement, and have the arbitrators who opposed a particular penaly be the ones acting to enforce it, at least if the decision was close.