[WikiEN-l] NPOV and alleged phenomenon

Robin Shannon robin.shannon at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 10:14:49 UTC 2004

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:54:51 -0800 (PST), Robert <rkscience100 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> This is incorrect. Sometimes a definition *is* a
> falsifiable statement.  For example, someone could write
> "ESP is the method by which a human can do such-and-such."
> The very definition presumes that ESP exists, which itself
> is controversial.  No one has ever shown that any such
> phenomenon exists.  The same is true for telepathy,
> telekinesis, pyrokinesis, and dozens of other alleged
> phenomenon.

No its not. ESP (Extra-sensual perception) is the perseption of
extra-sensual stuff (or what ever the frig ESP is). That, ESP (in my,
and your, and Tony Blair's POV) is a load of baloney is irrelevent,
because whether ESP exists or not, does not change the fact that any
Extra-sensual perception ''''''IS'''''' ESP. Me and you and Tony Blair
don't believe that Extra-sensual perception exists, but we cant argue
with what it is, (even though what it is, is impossible.). We should
however note in the first paragragh that by far the majority of ppl
think that it is a load of baloney. (that was more rambling that i was
planning, but i hope you got my point.)

> Ex, you are making a strawhorse argument.  You are trying
> to deligitimize my basic argument by focusing on one
> example sentence that doesn't even exist in any article!

Is the word strawman/strawhorse argument a purely wikimedia thing,
because i had never heard the phrase before i subscribed to these
lists?

> In any case, many studies have proven that believers in UFO
> abductions also generally believe in ESP. This is not an
> "insult".  Perhaps it makes you uncomfortable to ackowledge
> the relationship between these beliefs, but the
> relationship is firmly established, even if you find it
> embarassing.

What studies? While i shall concede that there are certainly large
number of people who believe in both, i would also say that often,
fringe/crank groups will be just as disparaging of other fringe/cranck
groups to try and emphisis that thier idea is not a crank view.

peace, love and butterflies
paz, amor, y mariposas
[[User:The bellman]]

--
hit me: robin.shannon.id.au
jab me: saudade at jabber.zim.net.au

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons
Recombo Plus License. To view a copy of this license, visit
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/sampling+/1.0/