[WikiEN-l] A need to maintain credibility

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Fri Dec 10 10:01:42 UTC 2004

Ray Saintonge wrote

> Nobody is supporting "a massive repository of crank view"  Saying that
> Wikipedia would become so is entirely speculative.

Agreed.  My view that nonsense is gradually squeezed out of WP, by steady
edits by sensible editors.  It is, in the main, a salami-slicing operation.

Obviously something daft gets posted every day, and there are occasions when
editors dig in their heels to defend what are, on a consensus view, cranky
views.  I don't think either of those facts need be used to undermine the
position that the normal process  - 'enough eyeballs' - works.

The bad history and politicised rants can be first toned down, then replaced
by better points.  There is always going to be some 'placeholder' material
on WP, waiting for a better job.  I think trying for credibility in excess
of the natural trend is probably a mistake.  The pages have a disclaimer;
and I wonder whether anyone can foresee a time when they will not.

Charles