[WikiEN-l] Autoblocker: change it or shut it off

Allan Crossman a.crossman at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Dec 4 03:08:49 UTC 2004

> The autoblocker was designed for a purpose, and it still largely
> serves that purpose. I don't think there's a need to completely shut
> it off. However, they really shouldn't be affecting logged-in users,
> and I think that as UC says, having them only affect account creation
> and anon editing would be a wise move.

If you do this, then all a vandal has to do is create a whole load of
accounts prior to his spree; block one and he will just switch to another.

I'd like to make an alterative suggestion: a sysop-operated whitelist.
Any username on the whitelist would be immune from IP blocks (though NOT
from direct blocks on the username itself).

There would be no need to pro-actively add users to it; all that would
be required is to wait until a problem arises for someone, then fix it
for them when they email to complain...

The beauty of this system would be that no logged-in user would ever
have to suffer an IP block due to someone else's misbehaviour more than
once.

Allan Crossman - a.crossman at blueyonder.co.uk
The Moon is Waning Gibbous (59% of Full)