[WikiEN-l] Re: The proliferation of article series boxes, and other sundries

Timwi timwi at gmx.net
Fri Apr 30 16:48:50 UTC 2004

Christopher Mahan wrote:

> I also would like people to consider that once an article is printed
> on a piece of paper, the box-lists and categories become completely
> useless.

I also would like to remind people that Wikipedia is not paper. Please
stop comparing it to that. Nobody cares (or should care) about that just
yet because we are not yet actively working on a paper encyclopedia. If
and when we are, this is a concern of the people who work on that, and
nobody else's. And even for them, the {{msg:}} things are extremely
trivial to remove.

On the web, they do not do any harm... of course, as long as it's not
overdone. I quite agree with some of the sentiments brought up that an
article on a Belgian mathematician would look rather silly if it had a
list of all mathematicians as well as another list of all famous
Belgians in it. But who's doing that, anyway? Nobody is seriously
considering creating such boxes because by all measurements of common
sense they would be way too large and there would be way too many of
them. By contrast, the boxes on things like [[Greater Cleveland]] are
perfectly fine.

Timwi