[WikiEN-l] [[Fallujah]]

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Fri Apr 30 11:00:56 UTC 2004

Samuel Kennedy wrote:
> So, I can't help but wonder, *is* Bomis somehow associated with the
> United States Marine Corps?

Not in any way at all that I can think of, no.

The accusation seems to run as follows...

Jerk Sauce, which is a blog written by Tim Shell, who manages the
content of Bomis, links to the blogs Command Post and Tim Blair.
Those blogs, in turn, run advertisements from the blogsads.com
syndication agency.  One advertiser for blogads.com is Spirit of
America.

Spirit of America is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization which raises
money which is used to assist members of the military channel goods to
help local people where they are serving.  A typical example would be
baseball and school supplies for a village in Iraq.

I fail to see how this set of facts could possibly warrant any sort of
disclaimer.  Bomis hosts a blog which links to other blogs, which run
ads for a charity, which assists members of the military.  Even if the
Bomis blog itself directly raised money for the military, which it
absolutely does not, even then no disclosure would be warranted on the
article.

My own philosophical and political convictions are well-known.  Many
Wikipedians will disagree with me on political issues, but no rational
person could conclude that I have in any way sought to impose my POV
on the Wikipedia in anyway.  Indeed, one of the reasons that I so
seldom edit is precisely to eliminate even any appearance of
impropriety in that regard.

--Jimbo