[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia nominated for Webby Awards!

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Tue Apr 20 15:51:49 UTC 2004

Wikipedia has been nominated for Webby Awards in two categories:
Best Practices and Community.  The definitions of these two categories
can be found here:

http://www.webbyawards.com/main/webby_awards/cat_defs.html

The nomination itself is an honor, since in each category we are 1 of
5 sites selected from thousands of submissions.

>Best Practices
>
>Sites demonstrating unparalleled excellence across The Academy's six
>criteria: content, structure & navigation, visual design,
>interactivity,functionality, and overall experience. Best Practices
>sites serve as an industry benchmark for the most current, innovative,
>and advanced practices in Web development.

>Community
>
>Sites creating and facilitating online community, connectedness and/or
>communication around shared interests. These sites can target either a
>broad-based or niche audience.

In each category, we are eligible for both a Webby Award and a The
People's Voice award.

In their email to me, they said:

>While the Academy selects The Webby Awards' winners, the online public
>selects The People's Voice Award winners. With frequently different results
>some people are as honored to receive the People's Voice vote of confidence
>as it indicates a strong following by your site's visitors. We encourage you
>to launch a People's Voice campaign to get your loyal audience to the polls.
>More information is available in the Nominee Kit that you will receive once
>you've confirmed your contact information as outlined below.

The kit is here:
http://www.webbyawards.com/nomineekit/downloads.html

I think we should launch a strong People's Voice campaign, today!

--Jimbo