[WikiEN-l] Paul Vogel's anti-Semitism

steven l. rubenstein rubenste at ohiou.edu
Tue Apr 13 19:04:58 UTC 2004

Paul Vogel has been adding an anti-Semitic link to the Judaism page.  I
explained in detail on the talk page why I think this is inappropriate, and
I deleted the link.  Although some other users believe that such a link is
acceptable as long as it is clearly identified, I think if Wikipedia is
going to have any links to anti-Semitic material it should be on the
anti-Semitism page.

In any event, after I explained why I deleted the link, Vogel responded,
"Any hue and cry of "anti-semitism" or "nazism" etc. ad nauseum for such a
link is not relevant, if one is being hypocritical in actually allowing
similar pov and slanderous links on cosmotheism, or any other religion,
within Wiki articles.-PV " -- a response that ignored my explanation
entirely.

I replied, "I am not "allowing" slanderous links on the cosmotheism page.
Two rights do not make a wrong. If you have a problem on another site, seek
mediation -- don't take out your frustrations here."

And then Vogel made clear the anti-Semitic logic by which problems on the
cosmotheism page are really "Jewish" problems: "Aren't you? Each one of
those 4 slanderous POV articles and each one linked as "criticisms" on the
cosmotheism page have been written by "Jews", and you have not ever
protested and ever insisted upon their actual "removal" have you? The
problem is on THIS SITE, WIKIPEDIA. The lying hypocrisy of your own "ilk"
is responsible for this nonsense, and so it actually is YOUR OWN PROBLEM.
Unfortunately, there is no effective medication for psychological
projection on your and your own ilk's part, but, hope springs eternal!.-"

Do I need to explain my outrage?  Vogel doesn't identify the people working
on the cosmotheism as wikipedians but as "Jews."  He doesn't identify me as
a wikipedian but solely as a "Jew."  And because I am a Jew, he holds me
responsible for what other "Jews" have done on another site.

This use of "Jew" as a slur; the identification of my "ilk" as hypocrites,
reeks of anti-Semitism.  If this itself does not merit banning, I certainly
think some strong action should be taken.

Thanks,

Steve

Steven L. Rubenstein
Associate Professor
Department of Sociology and Anthropology
Bentley Annex
Ohio University
Athens, Ohio 45701