[WikiEN-l] Human-assisted spelling bot?

William T. Mahan wtm2 at duke.edu
Fri Apr 9 03:27:47 UTC 2004

Hi,

I'm relatively new to Wikipedia, but I've recently become interested in
helping to fix spelling errors in the English wiki. Using a database dump,
I put up a list of articles with commonly misspelled words in my user
space at [[User:Wmahan/Articles with commonly misspelled words]].

In an effort to go through this monstrous list more quickly, I made a
script that loads the edit page of an article from the list and fixes any
commonly misspelled words. It also displays a list of all words not found
in a spelling dictionary, and I can substitute from of a list of suggested
replacements with the click of a button. I review all changes before they
are submitted.

I asked for approval of this plan on [[Wikipedia_talk:Bots]], and it was
suggested that I mail this list. I think that this human-controlled script
will be:
1. harmless, because I review and discard any incorrect fixes
2. useful, because I can easily correct not only misspellings on the list,
but any clear misspellings I notice
3. not a server hog, because it is limited by how fast I can approve
changes. It should use less overall bandwidth than fixing every article by
hand because I only request the edit page for the article, rather than

Do others agree? I'm open to any suggestions about whether this idea is
worthwhile, possible improvements, etc. The script uses a web interface,
so I can make it available for people to examine if there is interest.

-- Wil