[WikiEN-l] Hard-ban User:TDC right away

Abe Sokolov abesokolov at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 4 10:04:25 UTC 2004

User:TDC needs to be hard banned right away.

Recently, a well respected user called TDC an "obnoxious, immature,
POV-pushing, insult-spewing" user. Of course, this isn't unusual on
Wikipedia. But lately TDC's behavior has gotten far more alarming than what
Wikipedia usually sees.

On 4/1, e.g., he posted this unforgivably offensive message on the talk page
of a longtime user and admin, and earned himself a 24 hour period:

Now, I know you Marxist types dont believe in an afterlife and the like, but
if I were to hold a seance and channel Marx's spirit through you, do you
think you would try and suck your own dick.  [[User:TDC|TDC]] 04:15, 1 Apr
2004 (UTC)
<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=User:Slrubenstein&diff=3013952&oldid=3004687>

After the 24 hours, TDC's behavior has gotten worse. To demonstrate this,
I'll avoid telling a long, drawn out story, and instead refer to the
relevant links and briefly state my conclusions . Since he isn't very well
known among most mailing list readers (he's been trolling only a small
number of articles), the links and talk page excerpts below will allow other
users to examine this problem on their own.

IMO, his behavior is in league with the hard banned vandals. [[User:Kenneð]]
(see
<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=User:Kenne%F0&action=history>),
e.g., was banned in 8/03 for making rambling threats seemingly coming out of
nowhere. TDC has been doing the same (my examples are placed below this
paragraph). [[User:JoeM]] was banned for blatant POV trolling and vandalism
(see <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:JoeM/ban>). TDC has been doing
the same for months. [[User:Michael]] has been known to target specific
users. Over the past week, TDC has been explicitly stating that he intends
to do the same.

TDC user has been given multiple chances, aside from being allowed to return
after the 24 hour ban. Also on 4/1, a poll was started on [[Talk:Fascism]].
An number of other users and I were hoping that since an overwhelming
consensus of users disagreed with TDC's view of the way things are (as of
now, twenty users have voted no; TDC is the lone yes vote), he'd get the
message and start moderating his behavior. BTW, if anyone's interested, the
results below are taken from <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Fascism>
([[Talk:Fascism]]).

-------

===Yes===

[[User:TDC|TDC]] 05:09, 1 Apr 2004 (UTC)

===No===
#[[User:John Kenney|john]] 04:50, 1 Apr 2004 (UTC)
#[[User:Raul654|&rarr;Raul654]] 04:55, Apr 1, 2004 (UTC)
#[[User:Eloquence|&mdash;Eloquence]] 04:55, Apr 1, 2004 (UTC)
#[[User:Meelar|Meelar]] 04:56, 1 Apr 2004 (UTC)
#[[User:AndyL|AndyL]] 05:13, 1 Apr 2004 (UTC)
#[[User:Danny|Danny]] 05:24, 1 Apr 2004 (UTC) (in protest--I think voting on
this is ridiculous)
#[[User:Infrogmation|Infrogmation]] 05:26, 1 Apr 2004 (UTC)
#[[User:Mackensen|Mackensen]] 05:44, 1 Apr 2004 (UTC)
#[[User:The Anome|The Anome]] 05:57, 1 Apr 2004 (UTC)
#[[User:Methylsoy|Methylsoy]] 06:54, 1 Apr 2004 (UTC)
#[[User:Jamesday|Jamesday]] 07:27, 1 Apr 2004 (UTC)
#[[User:Vardion|Vardion]] 08:51, 1 Apr 2004 (UTC)
#[[User:172|172]] 12:39, 1 Apr 2004 (UTC) (Ugh. The crap being pushed on
this page grows more asinine by the day. Here's a better proposition to vote
on: "Poll: Should TDC and other extreme POV pushers with strong opinions but
little to no knowledge on the subject be banned from trolling this article."
[[User:172|172]] 12:39, 1 Apr 2004 (UTC)
#[[User:Skatehorn|Skatehorn]] 16:49, 1 Apr 2004 (CEST)
#[[User:Dpbsmith|Dpbsmith]] 17:13, 1 Apr 2004 (UTC)
#[[User:Jmabel|Jmabel]] 07:30, 2 Apr 2004 (UTC)
#[[User:Tillwe|till we *)]] 17:48, 2 Apr 2004 (UTC) (and agrees withh Danny)
#[[User:G-Man|G-Man]] 19:27, 2 Apr 2004 (UTC)
#[[User:Slrubenstein|Slrubenstein]] 21:11, 2 Apr 2004 (UTC)
#[[User:Hauser|Hauser]] 22:10, 3 Apr 2004 (NZEST) (Bloody pathetic, then
again it's kinda ironic the fact that I am complaining about a emocratic
insitution in a discussion about Fascism :P)

-------

However, his behavior has dramatically worsened. In his 04:58, 1 Apr 2004
(UTC) edit to [[Talk:Karl Marx]], he started harassing a respected user
because of his academic background. TDC wrote:

BTW, you are a bunch of soft-minded artsy morons, thats why you choose
professions, like sociology, that have no demand or real value in society.
[[User:TDC|TDC]] 04:58, 1 Apr 2004 (UTC)
<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Talk:Karl_Marx&diff=3005125&oldid=3005118>

As an aside, hating "sociologists" seems to be among his array of weird
quirks. Roughly a month and a half earlier, he made roughly the same
"sociologist" crack about me: "secondly what productive activity could a
sociologist actually engage in? I mean, seriously?"
<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Talk:Sandinista&diff=2383169&oldid=2383143>
BTW, just to give you an idea about how clueless the guy is, neither of us
two "soft-minded artsy morons" are sociologists. My field is history. The
same for the other user.

Later, Stevertigo and Fred Bauder placed TDC on the 24 hour ban, hoping that
this would give him some time to cool off. The discussion of the ban is
pasted below:

Now, I know you Marxist types dont believe in an afterlife and the like, but
if I were to hold a seance and channel Marx's spirit through you, do you
think you would try and suck your own dick.  [[User:TDC|TDC]] 04:15, 1 Apr
2004 (UTC) For your information, this sort of remark is unacceptable.
[[User:Fred Bauder|Fred Bauder]] 19:51, Apr 1, 2004 (UTC)

I agree - a day or two ban is in order.
-[[User:Stevertigo|SV]][[User_talk:Stevertigo|(talk)]] 21:35, 1 Apr 2004
(UTC)
UPDATE!: Ban will last 24 hours. Please use this free time to meditate on
your behaviour, and read up on your [[Wikipedia:Civility|wikicivics]].
-[[User:Stevertigo|SV]][[User_talk:Stevertigo|(talk)]] 21:46, 1 Apr 2004
(UTC)

See
<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=User_talk:TDC&dummy=1&diff=3030615&oldid=3012818>
([[User talk:TDC]])

TDC has been meditating on his behavior since then. Unfortunately, he's been
drawing far worse conclusions. I wrote on my talk page:

I will go on the Marx page 10 times a day to undo any vandalsim you cause.
Please dont make me write a script to do this automaticly. [[User:TDC|TDC]]
06:09, 4 Apr 2004 (UTC)
<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=User_talk:172&diff=0&oldid=3049678>

Then, on his user page, he was even more charming. Here he effectively
proclaims that he's a Sadist:

172, if that is indeed your ''real'' name, believe you me that you have met
in TDC the biggest most stubborn prick on the face of planet earth, and I
will not stop until your stomach churns with bile at the site of [TDC]. I
dont feel that this is a waste of time, I get a great deal of satisfaction
out of this.[[User:TDC|TDC]] 06:02, 4 Apr 2004 (UTC)
<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=User_talk:TDC&diff=0&oldid=3049556>

TDC has contributed nothing to WP other than threats, insults, and the need
to protect articles with which he's obsessed. After seeing the recent
comments, I'm not sure if this guy isn't enough of a nutcase to start
personally tracking down users whom he deems his enemies. He ought to be put
on a hard ban right away, while he's accumulated only a small number of
targets for venting his frustrations (anger, paranoia, whatever?). The
longer he's on Wiki, the more users he'll start harassing and threatening.
So, it's best to put him on a hard ban before this gets out of hand.
-[[User:172]]