[WikiEN-l] [roy_q_royce at hotmail.com: --A Request RE a WIKIArticle--]

Roy Royce roy_q_royce at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 29 19:01:13 UTC 2003

>From: Jimmy Wales <jwales at joey.bomis.com>
>To: wikien-l at wikipedia.org
>Subject: [WikiEN-l] [roy_q_royce at hotmail.com: --A Request RE a
>WIKIArticle--]
>Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 13:11:51 -0700
>
>I know too little about physics to have anything helpful to say here.
>Reading between the lines here, I'm guessing that Mr. Royce's views
>are not mainstream?  Is there any helpful accomodation that could be
>made here?

Dear Mr. Wales,

You've sold us both short! :-) (<--please note smiley, Mr. Poor!)
You have assumed that you could not have anything helpful to say
about the physics of this situation, so you have also assumed that
it cannot be simply explained if one tries hard enough!

Since SR pertains only to rulers and clocks, and to the results of
measurements made thereby, this should tell us that it is not
exactly an inherently complex subject. (If you want one of those,
try quantum mechanics!)

I believe that the average layman can see that special relativity
does not pertain to E=mc^2, and my simple 5-step proof should make
a believer out of you.

Here is a brief 5-step proof/explanation for the average layman:

Everyone agrees that special relativity (SR) has some sort of
mass increase,* just as everyone agrees that SR has some sort of
time dilation and some sort of rod contraction. The question is,
What is physically happening in these three cases?
[* a minor technical point, it's really a momentum (which is simply
mass x velocity) increase]

Since most laymen feel much more comfortable discussing a clock
and its rhythm than discussing mass and momentum, and since all
three of the above SR effects are alike, it is much better to
begin by using a simple clock-rhythm example.

Step 1:
Picture a single, normally-operating atomic clock that is sitting
on a stationary table some where. (In "tech talk," it is continuously
at rest with respect to an inertial frame).

Step 2:
Note the fact that this clock cannot have more than one atomic
(internal, time-keeping) rhythm. (A clock that had two or more
different "tick rates" would have to be thrown away!)

Step 3:
Note the fact that observers in different SR frames will find
many "different rhythms" for this clock. (Indeed, in SR, one and
the same clock has an infinite number of "different rhythms.")

Step 4:
Reach the unavoidable conclusion that SR's "time dilation" does
not pertain to a clock's intrinsic (atomic, in this case) rhythm.

Step 5:
Apply this same argument to the other two cases (i.e., to the
momentum and rod contraction cases), and similarly reach the
equally unavoidable conclusion that SR does not pertain to either
intrinsic mass or to intrinsic rod length.

(Not that anything more is needed, but strength is added to our
argument by the fact that each of SR's cases are reciprocal; e.g.,
I see your clock is "running slow," but you also see _my_ clock
"running slow." If we were talking about real (atomic, intrinsic)
clock rhythms, then this would clearly be a physically impossible
situation, and the same applies to both the SR momentum and rod
contraction cases.)

At this point, although we have not answered our original question
about what was physically happening in these three cases, we have
answered the question about what was _not_ happening in these cases,
which means that we have answered the important question Does SR
pertain to physically real (or intrinsic) characteristics? And we
have found that the answer to this question is No. This tells us all
we need to know in order to prove our main point that SR does not
pertain to the equivalence of real mass with real energy (which is
of course stated explicitly by the equation E=mc^2).