[WikiEN-l] Re: Cooperation with EUobserver

David Friedland david at nohat.net
Mon Sep 29 17:02:38 UTC 2003

Gareth Owen wrote:
> erik_moeller=Mmb7MZpHnFY at public.gmane.org (Erik Moeller) writes:
>

>>1) EUObserver.com agrees to put the text of the first paragraph of each
>>story in the public domain. That paragraph usually provides a good summary
>>of the story.
>>
>>2) We agree to cite EUOBserver.com as a source for each of these copied
>>summaries (as we already do with all stories reported on "Current
>>events").
>

> Aren't those two paragraphs contradictory?
>
> Either way, as I understand it, unless we're declaring the credit to
> EUOBserver as an invariant section, paragraph 2 is not GFDL compatible.

Erik's description of the agreement isn't clear. Are we obligated to
cite EU Observer or do we just agree to cite them? If they put the text
in the public domain, we obviously don't _have_ to do anything, but I
can see how agreeing to cite them is nice. If so, I don't think _our_
agreeing to cite them has any bearing on further uses of Wikipedia content.

Has it been made clear to EU Observer that others may use the content
and not cite them?

- David