[WikiEN-l] Re: Bot for generating articles on cities in Israel

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Mon Sep 22 14:09:38 UTC 2003

Daniel Ehrenberg wrote:
> I wouldn't, under any circumstances, accept data
> from Congo under any circumstances.

I think I agree with Daniel, but let me be a bit more specific.

I wouldn't *personally* trust data from Congo, but I think that if
they publish detailed statistics on anything, it would be appropriate
for Wikipedia to publish them, assuming we did so in such a fashion
that legitimately indicated why some people might have reason to doubt
those numbers.

Clearly, and as Adam Raizen has indicated, the use of statistics from
the government of Israel should be appropriately sourced, and a page
could legitimately discuss how those statistics might be biased.  (But
even here, NPOV is necessary, so actual complaints against the data or
actual support for the data needs to be appropriately sourced.)

--Jimbo