[WikiEN-l] Re: Bot for generating articles on cities in Israel

Steve Vertigum utilitymuffinresearch2 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 17 01:05:50 UTC 2003

--- Daniel Ehrenberg <littledanehren at yahoo.com> wrote:

> The Israel is an apartheid state? Hardly. And even
> if
> it were true, it shouldn't be on this list.

You can read
http://ps.wikipedia.org/wiki.cgi?Middle_East_Policy_(Chomsky)
on "Sourceberg" and see if you agree or not. Its
short, I transcribed it myself, and Noam gave it an ok
to publish as a "rough."  Afterward you can email him,
and if you dont insult his intelligence, he'll write
you back. Hurry--the old man's gettin' on...

> Israel's
> statistics are perfectly valid, as are pre-1950 US
> statistics.

Well, in a general sense they are what they are-- we
cant be too picky, I agree. But I don't object to the
.il statistics -- I object to them being installed en
masse by a bot. To allow such is to validate those
statistics in a way which they do not deserve.

> Even at the beginning of the US's
> history,
> African American slaves were counted in the US
> Census
> for purposes of the size of the electoral college,
> albeit only as 2/3 of a person. If you have actual
> proof that Israel is messing up its statistics,
> please
> post it here.

Well, someone else corrected you here. As for "proof"
I will use the proof of "no proof" -- there is no
proof that they are valid, and there is every reason
to believe they are suspect.
<rant>
To suggest that an apartheid state can on the one
hand--deny access to healthcare to its non-citizens,
starve them out, bulldoze homes, stifle a population
of millions like it was drowning a puppy in a plastic
grocery bag, not to mention cut electricity and block
access to Wikipedia.org, and the Arabic language
version of the Power Rangers-- and yet 'can still keep
accurate "statistics" on population data,' is calling
on the community to be at best naive.. (look it up).
</rant>

The statistics as they were originally described added
up to 100.5 percent as I recall from the thread.

> Where do you think the UN gets its statistics from?
> They don't conduct their own census.

In New York
> State, there was a small controversey over Census
> and
> old people going to florida while they recieved the
> Census in the mail in their official New York
> residence and missed the deadline.

> But there were no
> UN statistics to back this up. The UN could care
> less
> about this obscure data.

You're right-The UN could care less,  and neither
should the WP.  (But not "care less" in terms of
simply including it with a bot. ;)

> <rant>
> The only data I could find from the UN on Israel
> (aside from useless rural vs. urban data) was that
> there were about 6 million inhabitants in 2000. But
> Israel, evil apartheid Israel, said that there were
> 6.5 million in 2002! Oh no! We can't use their data
> because the obviously fabricated an other half a
> million Jews for their evil plan.
> </rant>
> LDan

I didnt say such a plan was evil-- I simply said that
humans have a history of fabricating stuff.  You may
be too young to believe that, but its true! And thanks
for the <rant> tags -- nice touch.

~S~
"Making it up since 1913."