[WikiEN-l] What constitutes a copyvio?

Fred Bauder fredbaud at ctelco.net
Thu Sep 11 12:59:08 UTC 2003

on 9/11/03 6:06 AM, Steve Vertigum at utilitymuffinresearch2 at yahoo.com
wrote:

> Sorry Fred -- I didnt "just revert" --I edited the
> material down to stub with barely the smell of the
> original on it.  (the sites copynotice just said "fine
> to copy for noncommercial reasons, just link here" -
> are we "commercial"?)

Commercial uses are foreseeable and permitted under the GNU Free
Documentation License.

I don't see your name on any edit other than:

http://www.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Thomas_Sutpen&oldid=1418240

Which is not materially different from the copyrighted text:

"Sutpen, Thomas. The founder of the Sutpen family in Yoknapatawpha County.
He was born in the mountain country of western Virginia in 1807, and around
1820 went to Haiti, where he married Eulalia
Bon, the daughter of a French planter there. They had one son, Charles Bon.
When Sutpen discovered that his wife had Negro blood he divorced her. He
arrived in Jefferson in 1833, and built himself a large
plantation in the northwestern part of Yoknapatawpha County on a hundred
acres of land gotten from the Chickasaws. He married Ellen Coldfield of
Jefferson in 1838. They had two children, Henry and
Judith. His whole life was dedicated to establishing a family, and when his
son disappeared he tried other means of getting a male heir. When he spurned
Milly Jones because her child by him was female, he
was killed by Wash Jones, Milly's grandfather. This was in 1869. Appears in
Absolam, Absolam!"

Fred