[WikiEN-l] Make the press

james duffy jtdirl at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 3 20:11:21 UTC 2003

>Gareth Owen wrote:
>
>>In todays Guardian -- a major British broadsheet newspaper -- Notes and
>>Queries column (the version published on dead trees, rather than the
>>website)
>>a correspondent cites www.wikipedia.org as an authority on various Dukes
>>Of
>>Edinburgh.  Might draw a little traffic.
>>
>What's interesting about this is what it tells us about the kinds of
>article that draw traffic.  I have no doubt that the information mentioned
>there about the Dukes of Edinburgh is available on other sites, but we have
>it organized in one spot in a comprehensive way. Certain of our "List of"
>articles may seem trite and unimaginative, but I believe that they have an
>attraction for people who want this kind of summary information in one
>place, rather than going on an internet wild-goose chase.  These chases are
>frustrating enough for experienced searchers, and impossible for others.
>
>Ec

Wiki is weak in some areas but when it is good, (and the Duke of Edinburgh
page is a classic example) it is very very good indeed. There are so many
pages on wiki that are far far better than any other encyclopædia I have
ever seen. And we can be so proud of what we have built and what we are
building. When a heavily academic article is praised in a paper as credible
as The Guardian, you know you are doing a damn good job.

JT