[WikiEN-l] The Cunctator again

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Nov 26 07:55:41 UTC 2003

There's no need to personalize this with what Maveric said  That's a cop
out and evasion of responsibility.  The Community has not authorized
Maveric to "mandate" anything, not has it pushed that burden on his
shoulders.  He is a member of the Wikipedia Community like anybody else
here.  If you choose to elevate his words into some kind of a mandate
you are doing that as your own personal opinion.  The way I will respond
to you, is based on the merits of the issue itself, rather than on what
might or might not have been intended in another person's words.

The entire issue about VfD is about deletions, not about notices or
headers.  If a long standing credible member with a proven track record
of community interest removes a VfD notice then maybe you should
consider that as a strong indication that the article should stay - a
much stronger indication than one sentence buried in the endless
verbiage of VfD.  Perhaps that can be taken as an indication that you
should remove the item from the VfD list entirely.

Your statement that you were excoriated for "lack of support" I will
treat as rhetorical flourish.  Your claim that you have acceded to the
"will if the Wikipedia" is as valid as the crytal ball that gave you
that impression.  There is very little of such monolithic will on
Wikipedia.  What we have is a number of articles whose value is suspect;
some even seem symptomatic of a person with an obsessive disorder (No
need to mention which.), but nevertheless written in good faith.  The
rampant judgementalism that pervades VfD is grossly disrespectful
because it belittles the honest efforts of others, for no other reason
than the pursuit of the fantasy that they know how to maintain the
purity of Wikipedia.  If these contributors are doing no harm, let then
be; let them have the confidence that the little that they could
contribute is worth something.  That will build a much stronger
community than an endless litany of rules.

One of the things that I appreciate about Wikipedia is the paucity of
its rules.  I acknowledge that some people find life in such
circumstances very difficult.  That could even make them dinosaurs in
the midst of the tremendous paradigm shift that is being generated by
the on-line age.  That wildcat is now out of the bag, and there's no
putting it back in.  The rules don't exist; they can't exist.  That
security is no longer there, and tough love says that you've got to
learn to live with it.

Ec