[WikiEN-l] William Connelley no longer neutral contributor

Delirium delirium at rufus.d2g.com
Wed Nov 26 01:36:18 UTC 2003

Gareth Owen wrote:

>Are you really suggesting that
>    "most scientists find Theory X to be beyond reasonable skepticism."
>is not an acceptable standard for the exclusion of Theory X from a supposedly
>scientific encyclopedia.

I don't see why we shouldn't mention it, especially if it has some
following in the political debate, as long as we do mention that most
scientists consider it unreasonable and unfounded (when that is the
case).  Our pages on various minority religious views don't say, for
example, "only a bunch of crazy cultists hold this obviously illogical
view" (even in cases where the view is provably in conflict with
reality).  We instead say something more like "These claims are nearly
universally discounted by those outside the group."  Sure, it's a
*little* silly in some very fringe cases, but there's a lot of gray area
where we simply can't make that decision.  I don't really see what's
wrong with saying "This view is sometimes promoted, by widely
discredited by the scientific community."  That, to my mind, in fact is
a *stronger* statement against than "This view is clearly false",
because in the latter case people will say "so what if Wikipedia says
it's false?", given that we have no independent authority on essentially
any topic.  In the former case it's clear that we're reporting a matter
that was settled by people in the field, not making the claim ourselves

-Mark