[WikiEN-l] William Connelley no longer neutral contributor (Re: toJimbo)

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Tue Nov 25 12:59:23 UTC 2003

Gareth Owen wrote:
> Or you could look in scientific journalists.  You will find a great many
> scholarly papers supporting GW, and comparitively very few that do not.
> They may be wrong, but they're not really sharply divided.

Then that's what we should say, of course.  It's really a bit much for
_Wikipedia_ to leap from that to saying that the other side is
"incorrect" or that what they are saying is "obviously false".

> Don't judge cutting edge science by what appears in the popular press.
> If you want to know what scientists are thinking, look in journals.

I think that's right, but I also think that one difference between an
encyclopedia and a journal is that an encyclopedia has to hold to a
much higher standard of proof before declaring something to actually
be the case.  Journals can afford to be partisan and sloppy in a way
that we can't.

--Jimbo