[WikiEN-l] Adolph Hitler

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Thu Nov 13 03:44:00 UTC 2003

Adam [name omitted for privacy reasons] wrote:

>Nobody is suggesting the page be moved to "Adolph"; merely that the alternate spelling be noted. This is a discussion for the mailing list; because, nobody is disputing that the spelling "Adolph" is used -- it is simply a question of whether the wiki will include such alternate spellings.

In general, I prefer to note alternate spellings, along with notes about
validity, frequency, etc; not only is it good Google-whoring :-) , but it's
often important confusion-clearing-up information that is only available at
Wikipedia. Adolph vs Adolf is simple compared to, say, Oswiu of Northumbria,
who has a half-dozen different spellings, each used by one or more of the
most unimpeachable authorities.

Stan