[WikiEN-l] Proposed: stop all deletes for 6 months, then reconsider

Alex Rosen arosen at novell.com
Sun Nov 9 00:08:53 UTC 2003

>> - The job of the current Wikipedia is not to be a perfect
encyclopedia,
>> but to be a source for the great "1.0" version. That version will
weed
>> out everything that doesn't belong in an encyclopedia.
>
>I find this argument disturbing and wrong. I certainly hope this is
not the
>consensus understanding of the role of Wikipedia. Have I missed some
>official position statements?

Hmm, I think I played a little fast and loose in attributing this
stance to Jimbo. Here's where I got it from:

http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikien-l/2003-October/008012.html

What he's really saying that a paper 1.0 will weed out everything that
doesn't fit into a paper encyclopedia, which is different. Whoops.

I still like the idea though. I think it's unrealistic that the wiki
model will produce a professional quality encyclopedia. Wiki is great
for getting a lot of not-bad content, but terrible at getting
consistently very good content.

But, maybe James's suggestions can achieve that!
http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikien-l/2003-November/008272.html

Alex