[WikiEN-l] More efficient process suggestions

Alex Rosen arosen at novell.com
Sat Nov 8 16:14:39 UTC 2003

I like this idea a lot!

One problem is, which version are you voting for? If I vote 7 for an
article, and then a few edits happen, what happens to my vote? We could
weight the votes based on what percent of the article has changed since
the vote. I think occasionally the diff tool gets confused and thinks
that a lot more has changed than it really has, but usually it's pretty
accurate, so for the most part that should work OK.

As far as using this to solve the inclusionism/deletionism debate, we'd
need two votes for that - quality and importance. I might want only
quality articles but of any importance, or vice versa.

Adding child-rating votes would require a lot more choices, since
people have very different ideas about what's apprpriate for kids. We'd
have to have ratings for sex, violence, language, etc. Fortunately the
vast majority of articles would be fine for kids, so nobody would need
to bother with those controls most of the time.

Another problem I see is how to deal with vandalism. It's usually easy
to determine if an article edit was made in bad faith, but there's no
way to tell if someone's just being a punk with their vote. I guess we'd
need to restrict voting to non-newbies, which is unfortunate...

What do other people think?

Alex