[WikiEN-l] India problems

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Nov 8 10:07:11 UTC 2003

libertarian wrote:

>Fred Bauder [mailto: fredbaud at ctelco.net]
>
>>It is not at all clear that the fire was anything but accident.
>>

>In short, if Hindus were roasted alive, everything is in doubt.
>If Hindus can be blamed, word it as an ASSERTION. Right!
>
>You just proved my point about intolerance and racism against Indians
>and Hindus. If this is what Wikipedia is going to turn into, it is
>really sad.
>
>I am open to an honest investigation into what happened by REALLY
>neutral people who will look at it in an objective fashion. Even the
>original entry which read "2002 Gujarat pogrom" proves my point
>because pogrom is a loaded term. You know that very well.

As I read more into this it is clear that the train fire was not an
accident.  Hindus on their way to a disputed religious site were indeed
the victims in that incident.  Although it is widely accepted that
Muslims were responsible for that specific incident, no individuals have
been caught and prosecuted.  It is also apparent that most of the
rioting that followed was instigated by Hindu mobs, but not exclusively
so.  Most of the between 2,000 and 2,500 deaths that resulted were
Muslims.  Gujarat is awash with extremists of all kinds. It shares a
border with Pakistan, and claims of Pakistani involvement in the unrest
have been very common.

The Comunists are not very strong in Gujarat, and the two Communist
parties only had a handful of token candidates in the last state
election.  Nationalist and religious issues are far more significant
inGujarat.  There is no denying Iyer's communist background, and his
participation in an elected state in relatively far away Kerala in 1957
(i.e. 45 years earlier).  His communist background has no relevance to
the incidents in Gujarat

Ec