[WikiEN-l] Rampant editorial control (was: Deletionism)

Andrew Lih alih at hku.hk
Fri Nov 7 03:25:29 UTC 2003

Trying to enter this conversation is like hopping on a merry go round
... spinning at 1000 km/hr.

First off, we should stop using the label "deletionists" as it maligns
and inaccurately portrays what folks are genuinely are doing in good
faith -- seeking better editorial quality and to further trust in
Wikipedia.  It's no more fair than calling people abortionists or
supporters of euthanasia "suicidists."  Lets find another label.

Second, people are demonizing VfD and the process when the alternative
is far worse - deletion wars, having to dig back into ost edit
histories, resurrecting conversations, etc.

VfD clarifies -- it tries to quantify and clarify the will of the
community.  It provides a firm deadline, which humans respond to.  It
provides a unified forum for discussion on the entire range of topics in
Wikipedia (and by extension, humankind).  It is pointed to by
boilerplate text added to articles, which shows up in peoples'
Watchlists.  The signal to noise ratio is quite good -- obvious deletes
get deleted, and obvious keeps get kept.

It's one of the few places where one can feel "in touch" with the pulse
of what happens in Wikipedia.  It's the last stop between quality and
chaos.  This is especially true for folks who believe in Wikipedia as a
place with quality editorial content and worthy of reader trust, and not
as an attic for all things under the sky.

So I would argue "Wiki is not paper" is not a good enough to justify the
tremendous reach of adding all victims of all tragedies in the history
of the universe.  Yes, being paper-based limits what to put in a paper
encyclopedia.  But what's more important to the editors of those
encyclopedias is good judgment, fostering trust between the publisher
and reader, and the pursuit of "the truth."

-Fuzheado