[WikiEN-l] Re: weekeepeedee-uh Libel

Sheldon Rampton sheldon.rampton at verizon.net
Mon Mar 31 14:34:40 UTC 2003

Awhile back, Jimbo wrote:

>>From our perspective, NPOV is a great mechanism for avoiding libel,
>because it's pretty hard to libel someone without taking any position.

His point at the time was that my Disinfopedia is inherently more
controversial and confrontational than Wikipedia. Being controversial
arguably creates more INCENTIVE for someone to sue. Regarding the
question of actual LIABILITY, however, I don't think NPOV offers the
protection that Jimbo thinks.

The Wikipedia editorial policy is "neutral point of view." My
Disinfopedia policy is "fair and accurate." Either of those policies,
if practiced consistently and completely, should offer protection
against a successful libel action. (Actually, I think "fair and
accurate" offers slightly better protection, because it may be easier
to define "accurate" than "neutral.") In practice, however, 100%
compliance doesn't exist. The real question is what happens if
someone wants to sue over an article that they think fails to meet
one of these standards.

To put this in concrete terms, let's consider how someone might write
an article about Jeffrey Dahmer. It is certainly fair and accurate to
say that Dahmer was a serial killer and human cannibal. I haven't
looked at the Wikipedia article on Dahmer, but I imagine that's what
it says about him, and I can't imagine anyone seriously claiming that
these statements violate the NPOV rule. Moreover, Dahmer's relatives
would have no basis for a lawsuit, because this characterization is
true. It's been proven in court, and Dahmer admitted it.

Now let's imagine a hypothetical situation in which a false urban
legend has been circulating that MERV GRIFFIN is a serial killer and
human cannibal. This claim gets added to the Wikipedia by someone who
believes it. Griffin responds by suing for libel.

You can't really argue that a NPOV rule prevents Wikipedians from
calling ANYONE a serial killer and human cannibal. Therefore, the
question of whether it's OK to say this about Merv Griffin ultimately
devolves to whether it is a "fair and accurate" statement.

 From a strict NPOV perspective, in fact, you would have to refrain
from taking a position either way about Merv's eating habits. Once
someone has inserted that claim in an article, subsequent editors
must either (1) delete the claim entirely, because it's ridiculous,
thereby asserting a point of view; or (2) offer a tortured
construction such as, "Some people allege that Merv Griffin kills
people and eats them; most people, however, contend that this is
ridiculous." If you adopt #2 (the strict NPOV construction), Merv
might still have grounds for libel action.

I'm certainly not trying to suggest that the Disinfopedia editorial
policy is better than the Wikipedia policy. The two policies simply
serve different purposes. However, I'm questioning whether
Wikipedia's policy offers as much protection against libel action as
some people seem to think.
--