[WikiEN-l] weekeepeedee-uh Libel

Stevertigo stevertigo at attbi.com
Sun Mar 30 04:41:18 UTC 2003

>Dan>"According to the constitution of the united states,
libel   should be solved out of the courts simply by
notifying everyone of the incorrect information."

>Sean>Oh, really?  Which article would that be?

The idea I think Dan is getting at is 'good faith' - If a good faith effort
isnt made to deal with the issue.. vis a vis.. a retraction, etc... then a
judge is likely to view the issue as beneath the court.
We had a brief talk about this..
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk%3ALibel

The thing I'm curious about is, with regard to the setting up of a Wikimedia
foundation... and the necessary formalizing of some sort of policy.. vis a
vis libel issues...  The creation of an NPO would take some of the heat off
of Jim, but would also put the WP in the hands of essentially...
beaurocrats.. some of whom would no doubt 'fit a certain mold.' Just poking
my nose in... -DK