[WikiEN-l] Re: legal liability issues

Sheldon Rampton sheldon.rampton at verizon.net
Wed Mar 26 07:01:30 UTC 2003

Hi, all. I've been corresponding with an attorney about some issues
pertaining to the Disinfopedia. He has some concern about whether we
might be legally liable for its content. Specifically, could we be
sued for libel or slander if someone posts false information there?

I think this issue is substantially the same for Disinfopedia as it
is for Wikipedia, since we both use the same software and editing
rules (although the editorial standards are slightly different). I'm
hoping therefore that someone here can tell me what discussions have
taken place about this issue already and where I might go for further
information.

Here's what the attorney wrote in his message to me:

>The disinfopedia thing looks like a cool use of web technology -
>but I don't understand how you'll prevent all kinds of wackos
>from screwing around with the text.

I responded by saying (edited here for brevity):

That was my reaction when I first heard about the Wikipedia web site
(www.wikipedia.org). In practice, though, it works pretty well. In
reality, most people behave honorably and appropriately. They far
outnumber the wackos, and people who engage in vandalism are quickly
detected and banned. ... I would add that even "wackos" can sometimes
make useful contributions (depending, of course, on how you define
"wacko"). ...

The key point here is that since everyone who visits the site can
*edit* as well as *read* articles, errors and deliberate
disinformation should get detected and fixed quickly. This approach
has worked quite well in developing open source software such as the
Linux operating system, and it seems to work well for Wikipedia.

Of course, we can't expect 100% accuracy, but that's not our goal.
Our goal is to create a useful and *largely* accurate tool for use in
analyzing and understanding propaganda. This project is still
experimental and in its infancy, but I'm hopeful that we'll be able
to meet and surpass the level of accuracy found in the mainstream
U.S. news media.

The attorney then responded further:

>  Thanks for such a detailed answer; very interesting. Of course I agree that
>  some so-called wackos will provide good info. As a lawyer I'm most
>  concerned that you not get in a situation where there's slander going on and
>  you could be accountable for it.

[SNIP]

>  I think your website structure looks on first appearance to have a greater
>  degree of control (oversight/endorsement of content) than some others, and
>  therefore I'd expect a greater potential for liability exposure. I haven't
>  mined my way down the site to see your caveats etc.  just got this
>  impression on a quick look. No experience or insights other than that.

Comments, anyone?
--