[WikiEN-l] City names argument resurrected

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Tue Mar 25 14:11:30 UTC 2003

This has been discussed before, at length, and the most
passionate and devoted contributor on the topic has
been maveric. I will go along with any naming convention
he devises (i.e., he has my "proxy vote").

The point of the naming convention has always been to
make the article title:

* unambiguous, and
* as short as possible

These two values compete somewhat, and there are always
thorny special cases. Is [[Paris]] enough to indicate
that big city in France? Does [[New York]] mean New York
State or New York City? -- not to mention (although I
just did; hi, cunctator!) that WITHIN New York City
"New York" generally means Manhattan!

The biggest bone of contention is probably whether to
use commas or parentheses when we need to disambiguate.
Some prefer [[Paris, France]] as familiar to most readers.
Others prefer the convenience of [[Paris (France)]]
because of the "pipe trick".

I have no desire to take a side on this issue, except
(as mentioned above) I will side with whatever Mav wants.

Ed Poor