[WikiEN-l] City names argument resurrected

Tim Starling ts4294967296 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 25 13:18:56 UTC 2003

Fellow Australian Tannin (Tony Wilson) and I were confused as to the naming
of Canberra -- why is it [[Canberra, Australia]] rather than just
[[Canberra]], since there is only one in the world? It turned out that Karen
Johnson had moved the article to [[Canberra, Australia]] before either of us
came here. Tannin, Karen and I discussed the matter on Karen's user page.
I'm keen to move every non-ambiguous name (e.g. Canberra) and every
predominantly Australian name (e.g. Brisbane) to the simple [[Canberra]] or
[[Brisbane]]. Karen said it was fine with her, as long as I can "persuade
people to agree". So here I am.

Are there any objections to my setting a new standard for Australian city
and town names, favouring simple names such as [[Canberra]]?

-- Tim Starling.