[WikiEN-l] Re: A Friendly Challenge to Sheldon Rampton

Vicki Rosenzweig vr at redbird.org
Fri Mar 21 14:16:34 UTC 2003

At 12:26 AM 3/21/03 -0500, cprompt wrote:
> >I'm not an attorney, but U.S. copyright law, as spelled out in 17 USC
> 107, says that "fair use of a > copyrighted work...for purposes such as
> criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching..., scholarship, or
> > research, is not an infringement of copyright." It goes on to specify
> the following criteria to be used in
> > judging whether the use made of a work constitutes fair use:
>
>You seem familiar with copyright law. I have considered making Wikipedia a
>little prettier by finding suitable pictures for some articles. If I find
>a photograph of, say, a koala, and I want to add it to [[Koala]], is that
>permissable (if I can attribute the photo)?

Probably not. I am not a lawyer, but the criticism and comment part of fair use
is criticism or comment about the work in question--that is, you can quote
part of
a novel in a review of said novel, or a photo of a koala if you're writing
a critical
article about the photographer's work.
--
Vicki Rosenzweig