[WikiEN-l] Fred Bauder and academic dishonesty

Fred Bauder fredbaud at ctelco.net
Fri Mar 21 01:08:18 UTC 2003

Here, (I think) is the offending reference it is contained within:

http://www.ncahf.org/pp/chirop.html

"There is substantial evidence that manipulative therapy has value in
treating back pain. Although it may not be any more effective than other
modalities in the long term, manipulation may offer short term benefits when
compared to other commonly used modalities. Several studies have found that
about one-third of patients will experience more rapid relief with
manipulation than with other modalities.(2-4) Manipulation is probably not
utilized as fully as it might be in relieving the symptoms of some chronic
disorders.  It has been reported to be beneficial in controlling migraine
pain.(5) Because manipulation involves the laying on of hands, a procedure
employed throughout history by folk and faith healers, it enhances
suggestibility and the placebo effect.(6,7) Occasionally, manipulation
produces dramatic results. An example involves immediate recovery from
paraplegia caused by an auto accident.(8) Manipulative therapy is not
without risk. Many cases of serious complications following manipulative
therapy have been reported in the medical literature. (9-15)

Chiropractic Manipulation
Chiropractors probably are more skilled in the art of manipulation than
other practitioners since it constitutes the major emphasis of their
training.  Chiropractors are usually the most accessible manipulative
therapists in a community, and some receive referrals from medical doctors.
However, many physicians are reluctant to refer patients to chiropractors.
This may be due to a fear that the chiropractor may attempt to indoctrinate
patients in deviant health beliefs, a disbelief in the value of manipulative
therapy, or an apathy to non-medical practitioners.(5)"

Despite the cricical tenor of the aricle it sets forth both that spinal
manipulation is effective for the treatment of low back pain, but points out
that to get that treatment the easiest way is to consult a chiropractor.

I really fail to see what is dishonest in citing this passage as a
reference.

Fred