[WikiEN-l] We should not stifle legitimate scientific discussion

Robert rkscience100 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 20 15:55:19 UTC 2003

It was proposed that the term "pseudoscience" has no
validity, and it was clearly implied that this word is
simply a hateful attack, like "kike" or "nigger".  I argued
against that position recently, and I do so again now, with
support:

The position I disagreed with was an attempt to stifle
legitimate scientific discussion of controversial issues.
I strongly urge Wiki Users to read some of the articles
below - yet not for the article content as such. Rather, I
want to illustrate that the term "pseudoscience" has a
specific use, and is used in a scientific context. It is
not hatespeech; it in fact has a legitimate use.  This word
should not be banned from our vocabulary.

Why is pseudoscience dangerous?
http://www.csicop.org/si/2002-07/dangerous.html

Biomagnetic pseudoscience
http://www.csicop.org/si/9807/magnet2.html

Afrrocentrism and pseudoscience
http://www.csicop.org/si/9111/minority.html

Traditional medicine and pseudoscience in China
http://www.csicop.org/si/9607/china.html
http://www.csicop.org/si/9609/china.html

The New Paranatural Paradigm: Special APS Session Examines
Pseudoscience
http://www.csicop.org/si/2000-07/aps.html

RK