[WikiEN-l] Stevertigo and anti-Semitism

Robert rkscience100 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 20 03:46:08 UTC 2003

I am really having a tough time digesting all of
Stevertigo's barbs at Jews diatribes on this list.  His
obsession with Jews, and those who hate Jews, is the only
common link to his contributions to Wikipedia.

Do people here recall his attempts to promote Nazi
Holocaust deniers as mainstream academics that deserve
respect?  His repeated edits which attempt to deny that
anti-Semitism exists in many articles?  His attempts to
claim that anti-Semitism doesn't mean hatred of Jews at
all?  His constant Jew-baiting, where he lists a handful of
people that much of the Jewish community views as
anti-Jewish - whom he then presents as heros?

Does anyone here do constant atheist baiting? Christian
baiting?  Hindu baiting?  No. We only see Stevertigo's Jew
baiting...and it has been gooing on for quite some time.

Consider his newest post: He finds a handful of people of
Jewish descent who say anti-Jewish things, which many Jews
find anti-Semitic. Stevertigo quotes them, promotes them
for the sole purpose of attacking Jews, yet then claims
that he can't be anti-Semitic, because they are Jews, and
Jews cannot be anti-Semitic. Is anyone fooled by this
childish wordplay?

Stevertigo writes:
> But, Dan, its not right to call someone a *racist, if
> they are not a racist, now is it? Add to this the fact
> that Jews these days call other Jews anti-Jewish?
> (anti-Semite) Does this make sense? Can a Black man say :
> "This man is racist against black people"  if the person
> hes talking about is Black too?

By the way, Stevertigo himself knows that his claims are
false.  A phenomenom common to many ethnic and national
groups is the existence of self-hatred.

"There is little doubt that psychologically, racism is
harmful to its victims. The most profound effect associated
with situations of extreme degradation (such as is found
under slavery or in concentration camps or in racist states
like South Africa) is the acceptance by the oppressed group
of the dominant group's definition of the situation. This
is the phenomenon of self-hatred found, for example, in
cases of Jewish anti-Semitism or in the acceptance by
blacks of white aesthetic criteria of having straight hair
or a light skin. Self-hatred is often accompanied by
symptoms of apathy, anxiety, and depression or by forms of
self-destructive escapist reactions such as alcoholism or
drug addiction or, in extreme cases, by paranoid,
schizophrenic or manic depressive psychoses. In such
situations of extreme degradation then, the oppressed group
frequently reacts in an 'intropunitive' fashion; that is,
it turns its frustrations inwardly against the self or the
'in' group at large."
(Source: Racism And Its Effects, Shreya Khatau)

Examples of people who are sometimes considered Jewish
anti-Semites are Noam Chomsky and Israel Shahak. Referring
to works by Israel Shahak and others, The ADL's report on
The Talmud and Anti-Semitism states "In distorting the
normative meaning of rabbinic texts, anti-Talmud writers
frequently remove passages from their textual and
historical context....Those who attack the Talmud
frequently cit ancient rabbinic sources without noting
subsequent developments in Jewish thought....Are the
polemicists Anti-Semites? This is a charged term that
should not be used lightly, but the answer, by and large,
is yes. Now and then a polemicist of this type may have
been bon Jewish, but their systematic distortion of the
ancient texts, always in the direction of portrarying
Judaism negatively, their lack of interest in good-faith
efforts to understand contemporary Judaism from
contemporary Jews, and their dimissal of any voices
opposing their own, suggests that their goal in reading
ancient rabbinic literature is to produce the Frankenstein
version of Judaism that they invariable claim to have
uncovered."

Chomsky and Shahak, not surprisingly, are about the only
people of Jewish descent that Stevertigo agrees with.  What
conclusion can one draw from this?

> What does it mean then to be called an anti-Semite?
> It means nothing... Its slander. Propaganda of insults.
> Thats all.

No, Stevertigo, the term is merely used to accurately
describe you.

RK