[WikiEN-l] NPOV

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Mar 20 02:20:23 UTC 2003

Daniel Ehrenberg wrote:

> I have a few questions about NPOV:
>
> Is it POV to classify something as a pseudoscience (and say that it's
> definitely not true)?

Yes!  Even a noted skeptic like Michael Shermer is very careful about
using the word.  Pseudoscience literaly means false science.  In reality
many of the subject areas popularly encompased by the term have never
been proven true to the satisfaction of the traditional scientific
community.  To say that not proven equates to proven false is to apply
the fallacy of the excluded middle that is often phrased "If you're not
with us you're against us."  A great deal of this material is on the
fringes of science, and most will likely never become accepted truth,
but it is presumptuous to know or say exactly what part is false.  Quite
often there is a tiny kernal of truth that has been distorted out of all
recognition by supporters and detractors alike.  The term
"pseudoscience" is as much a pejorative as "kike" or "faggot" which have
been discussed in a concurrent thread

> Is it POV to say that communism never works in practice? (or something
> similar)

Yes!  Even more because of the word "never" than because of the word
"communism".  It's beside the point that the statement is dead wrong.
 "Never" and "Always" are two absolute concepts that challenge an
opponent to produce a single counterexample   That's all it takes to
disprove them..

> Is it POV to only list some of the facts (by accident or on purpose)
> leading someone to believe one point of view?

A qualified yes.  You can't be expected to produce opposing facts that
you don't know anything about.  It's also intellectually dishonest when
you wilfully ignore facts contrary to your belief.  But the attached
blame is very limited.  If I know Wikipedians, theres's always someone
ready, willing and able to entusiastically present the opposing POV.
 The problem comes when you don't give the other person's contribution
it's due consideration.

> Is it POV to use words that can be '''interperated''' as insulting?

Yes.  Words can be powerful if you use them well.  In a military
operation between two countries you can say the A annexed B or that A
liberated B with very different effects.  It is very common for people
to choose words that will accentuate a point of view.

Eclecticology