[WikiEN-l] Susan Mason banned (was: User:RachelCorrie)

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Mar 19 18:14:50 UTC 2003

Oliver Pereira wrote:

>I'd be interested to know what these alleged "personal attacks" and lack
>of "cooperative spirit" are. I haven't checked every single one of Susan
>Mason's edits, but I have looked at quite a few, and most have looked
>fairly useful to me. I've seen far worse personal attacks made *against*
>Susan Mason than by her, and furthermore more of a cooperative spirit in
>her lately than in some of those who have attacked her. Shall I name names
>and recommend *them* for banning?
>
>(Incidentally, if Susan Mason is Lir, then I understand that she's really
>been banned all along, so none of this is relevant; I am speaking only of
>the edits under the name "Susan Mason", viewed without prejudice.)
>
>Oliver
>
>P.S. - Yes, I know Lir was a "he", but I can't be bothered about correctly
>gendered pronouns at the moment...
>
>On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Poor, Edmund W wrote:
>
>>Any last words, before I disable the Susan Mason account, anybody?

Although I have not spent a lot of time on the "hot" issues, I become
more than a little annoyed with the perpetual obsessive sniping over Lir
and his/her several reincarnations.  These often seem founded on the
principle that if you barely suspect that Lir is involved then a
presumption of guilt must apply.  There is absolutely no room for Lir to
redeem himself, no matter how much he tries.

There are obviously steps that need to be taken when someone is banned
for cause, but exposing the entire community to this perpetual whining
when someone's sacred POV has been violated is not one of them.  I very
much agree with Oliver.

As to the User:RachelCorrie affair, whether or not that user is Lir, he
or she has done very little beyond that user page.  Obviously someone
had to vent feelings of outrage over that death.  Let's not have her
opponents expand it to be more of an issue than it is.

Eclecticology