[WikiEN-l] Medical Disclaimer

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Mar 19 08:32:30 UTC 2003

Jesse Alter wrote:

> *DISCLAIMER*
>
>    Please remember that Wikipedia is offered for informational use
>    only. The information is in most cases not reviewed by
>    professionals. You are advised to contact your doctor for
>    health-related decisions.
>
> Should we be adding disclaimers like that to most of the articles? Do
> we even need a disclaimer? If so, I think it should be somewhere else,
> like on the front page, and not on each article we have. I can only
> imagine seeing the big red disclaimer on [[Food Poisoning]],
> [[Peyronie_disease]], [[Gingivitis]], [[Cancer]], and [[Chiropractic
> medicine]] :-P
>
> I thought of removing the disclaimer from each of the Hepatitis
> articles but decided I should get a consensus here, first.

The disclaimer is in the right place.  It would be useless on the front
page.  A person who has reached the hepatitis article from a Google
search, may not even know that the front page exists.  There are always
individuals in the general public whoce capacity for stupidity is
absolutely brilliant. :-D

Eclecticology