[WikiEN-l] Medical Disclaimer

Jesse Alter jesse at snacksoft.com
Wed Mar 19 05:06:38 UTC 2003

I was checking out [[Hepatitis_B]] and noted a prominent disclaimer in
red text:

*DISCLAIMER*

    Please remember that Wikipedia is offered for informational use
    only. The information is in most cases not reviewed by
    professionals. You are advised to contact your doctor for
    health-related decisions.

Should we be adding disclaimers like that to most of the articles? Do we
even need a disclaimer? If so, I think it should be somewhere else, like
on the front page, and not on each article we have. I can only imagine
seeing the big red disclaimer on [[Food Poisoning]],
[[Peyronie_disease]], [[Gingivitis]], [[Cancer]], and [[Chiropractic
medicine]] :-P

I thought of removing the disclaimer from each of the Hepatitis articles
but decided I should get a consensus here, first.