[WikiEN-l] Google search; donations/grants (was: WikiEN-l digest, Vol 1 #212 - 14 msgs)

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Mar 18 17:53:34 UTC 2003

Axel Boldt wrote:

>>I hope we have the nonprofit setup soon, and if
>>we can't get it setup, we should start raising donations without an
>>organization. Kuro5hin raised 35000 dollars in a few days -- I'm not
>>sure if we can get that high, but we should certainly try.
>>

>I don't think asking for donations is the way to go once a non-profit
>is in place. The US is full of foundations that are happy to throw
>money at half-baked proposals vaguely related to education. Pretty much
>every billionaire sets up a foundation like that. You just write a
>grant proposal and wait for the money to come in. Lots of people in
>academia make their living that way. And we are talking at least an
>order of magnitude higher than your figure above.

I don't think that the Foundation should generally reject donations
except when they come with strings attached.  Being able to make a
modest donation within one's means can give a sense of belonging.

Two cautions come to mind right away:
    1. We need to avoid any perception that a person's value to the
Wikipedia community depends on the amount of donation.  The amounts may
need to be kept secret.
    2. There needs to be a refund mechanism for banned people who
somehow believe that their donation gives them a protection against banning.

Eclecticology