[WikiEN-l] Grinding to a halt?

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Mon Mar 17 18:00:20 UTC 2003

I would really like for us to make a serious
effort to speed up Wikipedia.

I know we have some wonderful features, but
if our database is too slow to accommodate
them, we have to:
* ditch the extra features,
* get a better database, or
* live with the slowness

I hate the slowness. I don't mind waiting up
to 10 seconds for a response, especially if
I'm doing something I *expect* to be slow, like
my watch list. But after 20 or 30 seconds I lose
patience.

To glance at an article, bring up the talk page,
and start editing the talk page is three separate
operations. If each one takes over 10 seconds,
that's half a minute of my life wasted.

N.B.: I don't begrudge the actual time spent
reading or writing article!!!

An impatient but avuncular Uncle Ed