[WikiEN-l] sysop vs sysop

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Tue Mar 11 13:22:16 UTC 2003

Christopher Mahan wrote:
> two sysops go on an edit war. against each other. They lock the page,
> to no avail because the other can still edit it. Then one bans the
> other other's IP. The other retaliates by blocking the account. The
> last then goes to Jimbo (hard to stop email) and both get
> permantently banned?

Fun to contemplate but pretty unlikely.  I would certainly pull sysop
privileges because one of the fundamental rules of the sysop
priesthood is "never in a fight".  Another is "don't ban signed in
users without yet another agonizing and incredibly annoying discussion
on the mailing list in which Jimbo waits too long to decide".

I try hard to send out a vibe of: co-operation, not competition.  A
vibe of production, not destruction.  A vibe of relaxation and fun,
not argumentation.  Most of the sysops are in full agreemet with that.

--Jimbo